Carbon Monoxide Safety

Every year, more than 400 people die in the U. S. from accidental non-fire related CO poisoning. The Barren River District Health Department (BRDHD) is glad to announce that they have been awarded $19,525.27 from The KY Department for Public Health’s EnviroHealthLink, Kentucky’s Environmental Public Health Tracking Program. BRDHD will use these funds to pilot a Carbon Monoxide (CO) Safety campaign. This campaign will include education on CO poisoning and a limited number of CO detectors to be distributed to those who qualify. BRDHD will provide one CO monitor per household to those who have gas powered appliances/heating in their home or own gas powered generators. BRDHD staff will be at the following upcoming community events:

-May 7th Jennings Creek Greenway Open House, 2617 Russellville Rd, Bowling Green, KY 42101
-May 14, Early Childhood Spring Fling in Butler County, 799 Veterans Way, Morgantown, KY 42261
-May 21st First Annual Moms Day Resource Fair and Baby Shower at Chaney’s Dairy Barn, 9191Nashville Rd, Bowling  Green, KY 42101
-June 9th Warren County Summer Reading Program Kick-Off at the Corvette Museum, 350 CorvetteDr, Bowling Green, KY 42101
Important CO Poisoning Prevention Tips
  • Never use a gas range or oven to heat a home.

  • Never leave the motor running in a vehicle parked in an enclosed or partially enclosed space, such as a garage.

  • Never use a generator, pressure washer, or any gasoline-powered engine inside your home, basement, or garage or less than 20 feet from any window, door, or vent. Use an extension cord that is more than 20 feet long to keep the generator at a safe distance.

  • When using a generator, use a battery-powered or battery backup CO detector in your home.

  • Never run a generator, pressure washer, or any gasoline-powered engine inside a basement, garage, or other enclosed structure, even if the doors or windows are open, unless the equipment is professionally installed and vented. Keep vents and flues free of debris, especially if winds are high. Flying debris can block ventilation lines.

  • Never use a charcoal grill, hibachi, lantern, or portable camping stove inside a home, tent, or camper.

  • If conditions are too hot or too cold, seek shelter with friends or at a community shelter.

  • If CO poisoning is suspected, call 911 or your local Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222 or consult a health care professional right away.
     

Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odorless, colorless gas that can cause sudden illness and death if inhaled.

When power outages occur during emergencies such as hurricanes or winter storms, the use of alternative sources of fuel or electricity for heating, cooling, or cooking can cause CO to build up in a home, garage, or camper and to poison the people and animals inside.

 

Every year, more than 400 people die in the U. S. from accidental non-fire related CO poisoning.

CO is found in combustion fumes, such as those produced by small gasoline engines, stoves, generators, lanterns, and gas ranges, or by burning charcoal and wood. CO from these sources can build up in enclosed or partially enclosed spaces. People and animals in these spaces can be poisoned and can die from breathing CO.

 

How to Recognize CO Poisoning

Exposure to CO can cause loss of consciousness and death. The most common symptoms of CO poisoning are headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion. People who are sleeping or who have been drinking alcohol can die from CO poisoning before ever having symptoms.

Learn more at 
https://www.cdc.gov/disasters/cofacts.html

1.png
3.png
2.png
4.png